Thursday, March 4

Week IV - Character Study II

Mass Effect 2 [Bioware, 2010]'s sexy super-spy Miranda Lawson.

For my second character study I chose Mass Effect 2's Miranda Lawson, reasoning that as I'd used her as an example previously, and that we'd named one of our possible tests in her honour, I should explain her importance. The character study I wrote as a result can be found here.

"Mass Effect 2 is a strange game. On the one hand, it represents something of a technical step back from Dragon Age’s approval system, replacing a slow build of trust with a one-shot mission to prove your loyalty. On the other hand, the characterisation is as good if not better, and I feel this is typified by Miranda Lawson, Commander Shepard’s second in command. Ostensibly a spy working for the mysterious Illusive Man, and indeed the only person in the galaxy who ever meets him in person, Miranda is both the stereotypical femme fatale; a sexy, sassy character almost painted into her uniform, and something entirely different. That she fits the setting so well and breaks beyond her stereotype are both testament to the skill of Bioware’s writers."

No comments: